Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Disney's Wide World of Sports / runDisney Disney Marathon Events Discuss 2009 Half marathon in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Hello im new here from Washington D.C and I was wondering how many ill be running the Half marathon next year. i am a "fluffy" 16 year old guy and ...
    adambelva13 is offline A-Ticket holder

2009 Half marathon

Hello im new here from Washington D.C and I was wondering how many ill be running the Half marathon next year. i am a "fluffy" 16 year old guy and next year i will be running the half marathon in order to get fit. i do have some questions though

1. How long do you guys train for the marathon
    2. is thier a limit you have to finish under i.e pace time
    3. Do yo u have any suggestions for someone just starting to attempt to better ones health

adambelva13 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Sorry complelty missed that thier was another thread bout this same subject

Welcome to the boards!!

Here's the link to the marathon site. It has all the info you need.

http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.c...entListingPage

This will be the first year that I'll be doing the 1/2 marathon and I'm very excited about it. I just ordered a book on Amazon about training for a 1/2 marathon. I haven't figured out my training schedule yet.

Good luck and keep us posted. And keep an eye out for the 2009 marathon team name. Hopefully it'll be posted soon.

Lori

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Yensid78 is offline A-Ticket holder
    congratulations on your decision to run in the half marathon!!!! I myself ran my first one in NC back in November. The one thing I will say, and it seems like a no brainer, but make sure you run just as much if not more outside rather than on a treadmill. So many people think that running on a treadmill is the same thing. While it is a great thing, it is not the same as running outside on pavement. I would also suggest if possible, to run on pavement and not a sidewalk. The pavement has more give to it and will probably closer to the type of surface you will be running on for most of the marathon. Other than that, just train, train, train. You can find all kinds of training schedules on line. You do not have to really "train" for a 13.1 but your legs will be happier if you do. Good luck, I could not think of a better place to run in your first marathon. The feeling afterwards is so empowering.
    Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    Hey you are doing something really great for your health and your future! This is awesome! The first thing I will tell you is that if you are focusing, initially, on weight loss and getting your body used to increased physical activity, DON'T OVER DO IT! You will cause yourself to physically and mentally burn out quickly. The best thing you can do is begin with a routine or walking or a walk-jog mixture to get your body used to the new stress being placed on it. You will see results if you stay true to getting exercise AND eating well. One big component of being able to run long distances is the fuel that we put into our bodies. If you put junk in the tank, your engine just won't run as well!! Get it? I would recommend you focus on getting into shape and weight loss for the next 8 months, yep 8 months. Build up your miles and get yourself into a better feeling you. Once about four months rolls around, you should start to look into a half marathon plan. You can get them online or in a variety of books. The general guideline for increasing your weekly mileage is 10% more per week. Anything more can put undo strain on your body. I am an Exercise Science major at Florida State University and if you have any questions I would be glad to help and I could even draw a plan up for you for those final four months before the race or for now if you need it. If ANYONE else needs it feel free to message me! I would love to help. I will be running the Goofy next year so I will see everyone there! Now lets get out on the roads and run! :0)

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Go check out our brand new forum Disney's Wide World of Sports that can be found under the Miscellaneous Disney heading on the Forums Main Page.

In this new forum we can discuss health and fitness goals, training and Disney sponsored Sports events such as Marathon weekend, Race for the Taste, Tower of Terror 13K and other events.

Review and rate Spa and fitness facilities at WDW.

Share your vacation fitness tips.

Discuss and support one another's fitness regimen, diet and exercise goals!

Have Fun!!!!

rae! is offline D-Ticket Holder

Adambelva13!! Check out the threads under here but marathon training,Team Voice. My blog, and Team Voice over at www.allaboutthemouse.com :: Index
    Team Voice is a support group,we welcome everyone!!!!
    Goofy Race Half Challenge 2011
    Rae Club 8
    Creator of Team Voice
    teamvoice@rocketmail.com
    www.raeplace.blogspot.com
    www.virturalvoiceevents.blogspot.com